Monday, June 13, 2011

Peaceful Cookbooks

When life gets crazy, when my mind is running at a million miles an hour, when the gears in my head won’t stop cranking...I simply pick up a cookbook.
If you have never experienced the calming power of a cookbook, you are missing out on an essential life experience. I prefer cookbooks with pictures, so you can unfold the story of the beautiful food you see. When I pick up a novel of recipes I immediately become intense and focused with all the frantic worrying thoughts fading away as I slowly read the tales of the cuisine. And when I say slowly, I mean a medium sized cookbook can take me about an hour to peruse. I look at the images of the final dishes on every page and try to imagine it's story, I also visualize every step of the directions to create a culinary film in my head. I make my way through page after page trying to decide what journey to take next, what path with I tread next? Desserts? Salads? Main courses?

When I finally turn over the last page, I have forgotten what was bothering me in the first place. It’s essential to have a great cookbook with plenty of pictures on hand for those times when you want to take a short journey and unfold the story of a meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment